Youtube-dl is an awesome tool for quickly downloading videos from a range of websites. Its intuitiveness makes it very easy for most people to use it without much knowledge of the command line.
Most people primarily use it for downloading Youtube videos but it can get quite annoying when you have a slow internet connection which in turn makes the program download a low-quality video instead of a 1080p or higher video. Here we will show you how to exactly select the quality type and format while downloading Youtube videos with youtube-dl
How to select video quality from youtube-dl?
When downloading a video from Youtube you can select the quality of the video that you want to download in the following way.
- This is how you would normally download a video with youtube-dl.
$ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3de64yKeElM
- Now add the flag -F to list the available qualities and formats of the video. Notice the ‘F’ should be in the upper case.
$ youtube-dl -F https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3de64yKeElM
- The output should be like this –
- Then from the list select your preferred format and use the lowercase f flag along with the format code to download. Here we will download the video in 4k quality which has the format code 315
$ youtube-dl -f 315 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3de64yKeElM
- Now your Youtube video will start downloading the preferred format that you chose.