Reddit was founded back in October 2006 by Alexis Ohanian, Steve Huffman and Aaron Swartz. It is a website which congregated many online communities of varied tastes together in one place. Users are able to submit texts, photo and link posts, which are voted up or down by other users. The different communities on the website are known as subreddits.
What is flair on Reddit?
Flair in Reddit is a type of ‘tag’ which can be used to sort posts and users also can have it beside their username to broadcast a message or show an emoji. For example in sports-related subreddits, users can have their club logos beside their username to show the club they support.
There are two types of flair in Reddit –
- User flair – A user flair will appear beside the username and it can be either a text flair or an emoji flair or a combined one. Even some subreddits allow users to set their own user flairs. User flairs are again subreddit specific, you will have to set for each subreddit specifically.
- Post Flair – A post flair is used for posts in a subreddit. These can be used by mods and users to quickly sort posts. It is similar to what hashtags is on Instagram when you click or tap on a hashtag, all posts on Instagram with hashtags are displayed. On Reddit when you click on a flair, all posts with that flair in that certain subreddit is displayed. Post flairs are also subreddit specific and are set by the moderators. There is an option under the About Community box in every subreddit to filter by different flairs.
How to add flair in Reddit?
It’s pretty easy to add flair to your posts or username in Reddit. Here is how you can do that –
1. How to add user flair in Reddit?
- First, make sure that you are logged in to your account otherwise, you won’t be able to add or view your flairs.
- Then open the subreddit in which you want to set your flair.
- At the right side, you will notice the ‘About Community’ box. Right at the bottom of that box, you will notice a ‘Community Options’ option.
- Click on that and two other options will appear. You should see the option preview your user flair and also an edit option. If there is only the ‘Community theme’ toggle, then that sub doesn’t allow user flairs.
- Click on the edit option and another small box appears on the middle of the screen.
- Here you will have the option to select from the range of user flairs offered by the subreddit and if the mods allow, then also an option to set your own custom flair.
- Choose your desired flair and click on the ‘Apply’ button. And Voila, your user flair will be set and you can see it in action whenever your comment or post in that subreddit.
2. How to add a post flair in Reddit?
You can flair a post while you are composing it or you can also flair it later by using the edit option after it has been posted. Here’s how you can do that –
- First, if you have already posted and now want to add a flair to the post, then open the post first.
- Click on the three dots button present at the bottom of the post.
- From those options, click on the ‘Edit Flair’ option.
- Now choose from the list of available flairs and then set it by click on the ‘Apply’ button. The flair has now been added to your post.
- Now while posting, you can also assign flair to your post. There will a list of flairs such as OC(own content), Spoiler, NSFW(Not safe for work) along with a flair dropdown option with all the custom flair set by the moderators of the subreddit.
- Choose the one from the options available which you want to set and then click on apply. Then submit your post along with the flair set by you.
- The OC flair is usually used when you are posting something which has been created by you, Spoiler is used typically in movies and TV shows related subreddits to hide spoilers and NSFW is used to signify content which is intended for adults and might not be safe for work.
- If you are unable to set any flair to your post, then the moderators might have disabled the flair option, you will have to contact them and ask them to activate it.